This week I did a test run for wedding cupcakes that I am making for a friend in May. The bride to be wanted purple anemones and red roses. I decided on chocolate sponge for the anemone topped cakes and classic vanilla sponge for the rose topped ones. I didn’t have any red cases so I decided to use fancy striped ones for the test cakes. They are fab but perhaps a bit too funky for a wedding so we are going to have red plain cases for all the cakes on the big day.
I really enjoy making the flowers, it’s a very calm and focused process and very satisfying too. I have made anemones before but this was the first time I didn’t use wire for the stamens, as the flowers need to be completely edible. Luckily it’s not that tricky to make the centres from flower paste and I actually prefer them! I also tried a new technique for the roses, using a scalloped border cutter which made them come together very quickly.
So I’m looking forward to making a hundred of these very soon!
Thanks for reading!